Friday, October 23, 2009

Random stuff Friday

I'm tired today. I've managed to get rid of most of my cold but the last creepy tendrils are just hanging on, and I've got a bit of a headache and all I want to do is curl up on the couch with a cup of tea.

That, combined with the fact that nothing phenomenally momentous is happening, has led me to invent "Random stuff Friday", where I will cover a few random things which don't need much description, explanation or philosophising.


Random stuff 1. - A finished object - Ribbon Tied Wool Vest from Erika Knight's Simple knits for cherished babies. In Bendigo Woollen Mills Luxury 4ply, colour Oceania. Modeled here by the gorgeous and talented Bernie Bear.


This has already been wrapped up as a giftie for the soon-to-arrive son or daughter of a colleague from work. (Just the sweater, not Bernie, who has gone back to his place in The Boy's bed).
I love this yarn. It's beautifully soft and knitted up like a dream. I found the 8ply that I used for The Boy's jumper earlier this year to be a bit pilly, but the 4ply was smooth and sleek and lovely. I'm thinking of getting more of this yarn to try some lace with.


Random stuff 2. - Our new Boss started at work this week. He seems nice, and experienced and knowledgeable, all of which strike me as quite important.

Random stuff 3. - The Brisbane Stitch n Bitch group who meet at The Three Monkeys from 7pm on Tuesday nights, have proven to be lovely and friendly and inclusive people and I feel a bit silly for ever being nervous about going to meet with them. They also seem to be really great people to talk to, with whom I have a lot in common beyond the sticks and string, and Tuesday night conversations have been funny, intelligent and bawdy, sometimes all at the same time. I've always had trouble making friends, but, while it may be too early to tell, I think I just made a huge bunch of friends without much effort at all. What is it about knitters that makes them such nice people?

Random stuff 4 - One of the really nice people from Stitch n Bitch has invited me to a costume party, so I'm having all kinds of ideas about making a costume. Since most of the party guests will be crafters, I want to make an effort to make something a little bit clever, so I'm off tomorrow to see what bits I can get at op shops. I'm not good at sewing so it will be a minimal sewing effort, but I've got high hopes for a good result. I want it to be a little bit of a secret, if not until the party, then at least until I can work out if I can pull this idea off, but there will be photos later, I promise.


Random stuff 5 - There has been yet another baby at work. That makes 4 born in the last month in addition to the one to come that I mentioned earlier. I didn't know about this one - I work with the Dad, and he was keeping secrets, so I have another Felix's Cardigan to start on the weekend. Good thing they're such a quick knit. The fact that they look amazing is a bonus.

Random stuff 6 - And to finish off, for no other reason than they were the most random thing I could see easily from my desk, here is a photo of my old, crusty collection of Smurfs. They are all dirty and some of them are broken, but I love them just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment