Thursday, October 15, 2009

Nothing if not fickle

Dear Alpaca Vest

I have something to tell you.

It's not easy to say this, but I think we need a break. I know that yesterday I said that I loved you and only you, and that l wanted an exclusive relationship with you and, well, most of that is still true.

I do love you. I think you're lovely, and I still really enjoy spending time with you. It's just that, well, something new and exciting has come into my life. I wasn't looking for it, I thought I was happy just to hang out with you, but sometimes things just happen, opportunities arise and you've got to see where they take you.

Today, on my way to get some lunch, I walked past the bookshop. Now, I will admit I've got a bit of a weakness for books. It's just part of who I am and I'm afraid that you're just going to have to learn to live with it. Anyway, as I was passing the  bookshop, l glanced at the new releases table at the front. Just glanced, by the way, it's not as though I was looking for something new, just so you know.

Well, you see, during this glance, I noticed out of the corner of my eye the new Terry Pratchett novel ''Unseen Academicals '' and you know, if you know me at all that I just can't resist a new Pterry novel. There's no use even trying, I just can't.

I think "UA" and I will be inseparable for the next few days.

But this doesn't mean I'm abandoning you, just that I don't want to be exclusive any more. And you know that I'll always come back to you - I can't go for too long without knitting. This is just a bit of a fling. I don't think the story even has any knitting in it so you know it won't hold my interest forever.

And I'll try and find time for you, I promise. Maybe while I'm watching TV.

I'll even understand if you need to be with other yarn or with the February Lady sweater for a bit.

This is just something I have to get out of my system.  You understand that, don't you?.

Lots of love
Lexyjane

(Phew. I think l may have got myself out or that one. But if anyone tells the vest that I picked up a copy  of Stephanie Pearl- McPhee's Free Range Knitter at the bookshop while I was there, there may be trouble.)


* I've stolen borrowed the concept of writing letters to my knitting from the stunningly talented and clever Yarn Harlot, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. She does this much better than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment