Thursday, April 19, 2007

To rip or not to rip....



I've been working on this top for about two years. It's the Fitted Rib Top from Amanda Griffiths' One Thousand Sweaters, and it's in Cleckheaton Click Clack Cotton - in a gorgeous blue-grey that I've had in the cupboard for years since buying 10 balls for $20 at Wisteria Crafts (Miranda Fair) when the yarn was discontinued.

I've been getting near the end of the back in the last couple of days and it's started to feel really weird. You can't see the back in the picture in the book so I guess I hadn't really thought about it, but it gets quite narrow and would go right up to the neck in line with the shoulders....

This morning I tacked the sides together and tried it on and..... while it's not really awful, neither is it particularly attractive. I imagined it as soft and clingy and slinky and sexy, but it looks a bit saggy and too long and not that sexy at all. And it would definitely show my bra at the sides under the armpits, so it wouldn't be appropriate to wear to work, which would make it almost useless. It also didn't seem to have much structure to it - the fabric felt flabby, and I'm told cotton sags even more after it's been washed. It would seem that 2x2 rib is not the best stitch for this yarn, perhaps.

So I'm definitely going to pull it all out and see if I can re-use the yarn for something else, perhaps it will be better in stocking stitch... I have a cute little pattern for a wraparound dress for a baby girl....... But I think I will start instead on my Picovoli by Grumperina with the beautiful Paton's Zhivago I bought on Tuesday. Either that or the beautiful Ballet Camisole.

OMG. Don't tell The Man, but I think I need more yarn.....

No comments:

Post a Comment