Saturday, February 20, 2010

A disappointing realisation.

It was always going to be a challenge to finish my Chicknits eyelet cardi in time to register a success in the Knitting Olympics. That's the way it's meant to be. 

Unfortunately, my bad wrist started to twinge about halfway through the week, and despite an effort to take it easy since then, it's now clear that I pushed it a little too hard, and while it doesn't actually hurt to knit, I can feel the pain in my wrist afterwards. 

I'm quite disappointed. I really enjoyed the feeling of joining in on this global knitting challenge and I was making good progress. To come to the realisation that there was really no way I was going to finish unless I turned my full length, long-sleeved cardigan into a short-sleeved shrug was...hard. I didn't want to fail.

But, as Stephanie says in the Knitting Olympics pledge, "... I will remember that this is not the real Olympics, that I'm supposed to be having fun and that my happiness and self-worth ride not on my success....but on my trying."

And you can bet that I will keep trying....just a little bit slower!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, that sucks!! But you should definitely rest your wrist. That and having fun is more important than a self-imposed deadline. Having fun most of all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, that's a pity. But wrist pain avoidance comes first!

    I know that Christine (twistedkitten) on Rav has terrible wrists, and she does Portuguese Knitting, which is just moving your thumbs pretty much - so much better on the wrists! Poke her on Rav for what she used to learn - I know there are a few videos out there but it's finding the best ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alexia

    I wanted to let you know my very cool news, I am opening a shop in Christchurch selling sewing and knitting supplies! The focus is mostly on fabric and sewing but I will have a good small range of yarn, needles and felting supplies as well as books and magazines. So much fun! I am hoping to open next saturday. Any tips on which are the best magazines or books or any sundry knitting supplies that are useful or helpful would be appreciated! Eventually I will have a website shop as well but focusing on bricks and mortar for the first couple of months. Anyway just wanted to say hi and let you know what I was up to, needless to say with all that going on I have yet to finish Millies purple cardi but I'll have to get it done in the next 2 months before winter!

    ReplyDelete