Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memories

When I was little, on special occasions, my Mum and Dad would make pancakes for breakfast. Mum would get out the cookbook and it would fall open to the pancake recipe (it was the only recipe she ever used from that book, and it had been used so often that the spine was broken at that spot). Mum made the batter, and stood at the stove and cooked, and the rest of us sat on stools at the bench along one wall of the kitchen. Mum would pass the cooked pancake to Dad, who would pour on a little freshly-squeezed orange juice and a sprinkle of sugar, roll it up, cut it into pieces and pass it down the line. My sisters and I would fight over who got the next plateful, and it always seemed like nobody got enough before they ran out. (Looking back, of course, we were all really well fed, just probably a bit greedy!) I suspect that Mum and Dad got none.

I make pancakes for myself about once a month, and I still use that recipe. I think it's the only recipe I know off by heart. It's not the best pancake recipe ever - they tend to come out a little bit rubbery - but it's got something no other pancake recipe has - a huge serving of wonderful, happy memories.

And the best thing about pancakes nowadays? I get as many as I like and I don't have to fight anyone for them!

Is there a food that brings back happy memories for you? I'd love to hear your story.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet story! My grandmother was a pie-baking master. She'd make the crust from scratch and her secret was to pour in a little bit of whatever citrus juice she was drinking that morning. The leftover dough would be covered in butter, cinnamon, and sugar and rolled up into little pinwheels, much like your pancakes.

    ReplyDelete